The family has come under heavy attack in today’s society. In too many families, in order to make ends meet, the mother must work and entrust the care of her children to strangers. Children are independent, arrogant, and disrespectful. Everywhere you look, society is offering quick and easy fixes, Divorce destroys 50% of all marriages. Gangs are growing. Sexual molestations by parents of their own children is increasing as are acts of violence.
Amidst all the depressing facts there is a ray of hope: the Bible. God has given us the instruction book for families. He has defined the family, taught us the roles of each of the family members, and has promised to bless those who adhere to His will.
Praise God! We need it!
What Is The Family?
The Family is God’s covenant arrangement where two people, male and female, are joined to one flesh, “For this cause a man shall leave his father and his mother and shall cleave to his wife; and they shall become one flesh” It is a covenant in that it is an agreement, a promise made between the couple getting married. This covenant is before God and is binding until death (or adultery) breaks the union.
The family does not consist of a homosexual or lesbian relationship where the two people of the same sex seek to be married.
This is against Scripture:
“And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 And God blessed them; and God said to them, Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves on the earth”
Where Did The Family Begin?
- The Family was instituted by God in the Garden of Eden Genesis chapter 1:26-31 and Gen 1:26-31 is the declaration of Man’s creation with the command to be fruitful and multiply. Concluding the section is God’s declaration that it was very good.
- Gen. 2:18-25 is the account of Adam looking for a helper and God then making Eve from Adam’s rib and instituting marriage.
What Is The Purpose Of The Family?
- The husband is the leader: For I have chosen him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice; in order that the Lord may bring upon Abraham what He has spoken about him.
- Wife is subject to husband: Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
- Husband is to love his wife: Eph. 5:25, Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her;
- Honor: Honor your father and mother.
- Obedience: Eph. 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who shames him is as rottenness in his bones. The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands.
Prov. 19:13, A foolish son is destruction to his father, And the contentions of a wife are a constant dripping.
The Bible has much to say about the Family. God takes it very seriously. As Christians, we should too. . . especially the fathers. Amen
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous